DP World in the UK
DP World is the only terminal operator to provide a choice of two deep water terminals in the UK – DP World Southampton on the south coast and DP World London Gateway, on the River Thames estuary. Together we provide unrivalled, quick and easy access to the key consumer markets in the UK.Read More
Meet the Team
Meet DP World UK’s senior management team. Together, they bring extensive experience from across the shipping and logistics industries. It’s a very special blend of enthusiasm, innovation and confidence to challenge the status quo.Read More
We believe that working in a sustainable and responsible way is essential for building a strong business for our customers, our people and our society. Our World, Our Future is our global programme to bring sustainability into every aspect of our work.Read More
Tariffs and Charges
A full breakdown of our prices and public tariffs.Read More
Modal Shift Programme
A trial programme at DP World Southampton to help cargo owners rail more boxes and reach their net zero ambitions quicker.Learn More
Help reduce your CO2 emissions in line with net zero targets, with our highly efficient and reliable rail freight solutions in the UK.Learn more
Deep Water Facilities
Our customers are introducing ever-larger ships on the main Far East trade routes. DP World Southampton understands the pressures they face to reduce costs and save fuel and our response is to offer better productivity and flexible berthing windows when calling at Southampton.Read More
Take A Virtual Tour
Look around DP World Southampton and get a good feel of the scale of our operations.Read More
DP World’s ‘Our World, Our Future’ sustainability strategy guides our approach. It helps us to work in a responsible way that prioritises sustainability and the impact on the people, communities and environment in which we operate.Read More
Projects and Initiatives
We’re embedding sustainability into our business so that it becomes part of everything we do and working with partners to contribute to a more greener and cleaner community.Read More
- About Us nav
- Port nav
- Supply Chain nav
- Why Us? nav
- Sustainability nav
£40M INVESTMENT TO MEET GROWING CUSTOMER DEMAND
DP WORLD today announces that Southampton, Britain’s second largest container terminal, will benefit from a major programme of investment in 2021 designed to take it up to the next level as a premier international freight and logistics hub.
DP World Southampton is part of DP World, the leading global provider of smart logistics, and one of its two UK deep water ports with freight rail terminals which were awarded Freeport status by the Government last month. The new infrastructure investment totalling £40m is designed to provide customers with speed, security, reliability and flexibility and will include:
- The dredging and widening of the berths to ensure that DP World Southampton will be able to continue to accommodate the world’s biggest ships (pictured below). This project, which was conducted in partnership with Associated British Ports, was completed before Easter and will improve flexibility for customers with immediate effect.
- A £10m investment in a new class of eleven hybrid straddle carriers. These vehicles, which lift containers moved by the quay cranes and then service onward forms of transport via road and rail, consume up to 40 per cent less fuel than diesel-electric powered machines and will be among the most sustainable in the world.
- A planned £3m investment in the redevelopment of the yard for the storage and delivery of customers’ empty containers. Once completed this will increase capacity by 25 per cent and create more flexibility for port users.
- A new Border Control Post (BCP), including UK Border Force and port health inspection facilities, to enable multiple government agencies to expedite checks on cargo entering the country.
- A £1.5m extension of a quay crane rail by 120 metres to ensure that the world’s biggest cranes can service all berths at the terminal. Additionally, other quay cranes will be relocated or decommissioned in order to maximise utilisation, speed up quayside loading and unloading, and save customers’ time.
Ernst Schulze, Chief Executive of DP World in the UK, said: “DP World Southampton is the most productive port in Britain, turns container trucks around faster than any of its competitors and at 30 per cent also has the highest proportion of its containers moved by rail.”
“At DP World we think ahead to create smarter trade solutions and this £40m programme of investment will ensure that our Southampton terminal continues to grow as a major freight and logistics hub. Our aim is to partner in our customers’ business success and we are already seeing a surge of interest from companies which want to take advantage of the customs zone and tax benefits resulting from Southampton and London Gateway becoming Freeports.”