DP World in the UK
DP World is the only terminal operator to provide a choice of two deep water ports in the UK – DP World Southampton on the south coast and DP World London Gateway, on the River Thames estuary. Together we provide unrivalled, quick and easy access to the key consumer markets in the UK.Read More
The Definitive Guide to London Gateway
This is your definitive guide to the UK’s most integrated logistics hub; a sustainable, strategically located, trade enabling centre of excellence on the River Thames. We accelerate growth through our market-leading container port and logistics hub.Read More
About the Port
Learn more about the UK’s fastest growing deep-sea container terminal, located on the River Thames just 25 miles from central London.Read More
Want to visit DP World London Gateway? Click here to view our port’s shipside and landside opening hours, including details on our bank holiday operational working hours.Read More
About the Park
Learn more about our rapidly expanding port-centric logistics park at London Gateway.Read More
See our current speculative and build-to-suit opportunities at London Gateway logistics park.Read More
Find out more about our port-centric warehouse, located right next door to the UK’s newest deepwater port at London Gateway.Learn more
Help reduce your CO2 emissions in line with Net Zero targets, with our highly efficient and reliable rail freight solutions in the UK.Learn more
Our World Our Future
We believe that working in a sustainable and responsible way is essential to us building a strong business for our customers, our people and our society. Our World, Our Future is our global programme to bring sustainability into every aspect of our work.Read More
We are committed to our employees and our community. We run a programme to support local initiatives and activities, raising the aspirations of local youth through education specifically in STEM and related subjects and raising awareness of logistics and the career opportunities it providesRead More
- About Us nav
- Port nav
- Logistics Park nav
- Supply Chain nav
- Sustainability nav
£40M INVESTMENT TO MEET GROWING CUSTOMER DEMAND
DP WORLD today announces that Southampton, Britain’s second largest container terminal, will benefit from a major programme of investment in 2021 designed to take it up to the next level as a premier international freight and logistics hub.
DP World Southampton is part of DP World, the leading global provider of smart logistics, and one of its two UK deep water ports with freight rail terminals which were awarded Freeport status by the Government last month. The new infrastructure investment totalling £40m is designed to provide customers with speed, security, reliability and flexibility and will include:
- The dredging and widening of the berths to ensure that DP World Southampton will be able to continue to accommodate the world’s biggest ships (pictured below). This project, which was conducted in partnership with Associated British Ports, was completed before Easter and will improve flexibility for customers with immediate effect.
- A £10m investment in a new class of eleven hybrid straddle carriers. These vehicles, which lift containers moved by the quay cranes and then service onward forms of transport via road and rail, consume up to 40 per cent less fuel than diesel-electric powered machines and will be among the most sustainable in the world.
- A planned £3m investment in the redevelopment of the yard for the storage and delivery of customers’ empty containers. Once completed this will increase capacity by 25 per cent and create more flexibility for port users.
- A new Border Control Post (BCP), including UK Border Force and port health inspection facilities, to enable multiple government agencies to expedite checks on cargo entering the country.
- A £1.5m extension of a quay crane rail by 120 metres to ensure that the world’s biggest cranes can service all berths at the terminal. Additionally, other quay cranes will be relocated or decommissioned in order to maximise utilisation, speed up quayside loading and unloading, and save customers’ time.
Ernst Schulze, Chief Executive of DP World in the UK, said: “DP World Southampton is the most productive port in Britain, turns container trucks around faster than any of its competitors and at 30 per cent also has the highest proportion of its containers moved by rail.”
“At DP World we think ahead to create smarter trade solutions and this £40m programme of investment will ensure that our Southampton terminal continues to grow as a major freight and logistics hub. Our aim is to partner in our customers’ business success and we are already seeing a surge of interest from companies which want to take advantage of the customs zone and tax benefits resulting from Southampton and London Gateway becoming Freeports.”