Fast, easy and low cost container weighing solutionAntwerp Gateway is fully operational to record and process the new Verified Gross Mass (VGM) regulation. We continue to invest in state-of-the-art infrastructure to offer an efficient weighing solution at our terminal. A seamless service when exporting goods through the Antwerp Gateway container terminal.
Why weigh at DP World Antwerp?
- Economical, fast and easy weighing solution
- No delay to your supply chain
- No change for hauliers
- Same seamless operation for rail and barge
- Highly accurate and compliant weight verification and administration
- Minimal administrative burden for all Shipping Lines and Shippers
- To comply with the SOLAS regulations
What does it cost?
The weighing and VGM service at DP World costs in 2024:
- In gauge container: € 60,00 / container
- OOG container: € 165,00 / container
The weighing service requested by the Shipper directly to Antwerp Gateway, will be invoiced to the Shipper directly. If it’s requested by the Shipping Line to Antwerp Gateway, the weighing service will be invoiced to the Shipping Line.
Why does my container have to be weighed?
Since 1 July 2016 every laden export container is required to have its weight verified before it is loaded onto a ship. All laden export containers must have a Verified Gross Mass (VGM) certificate before being loaded onto a vessel. This is a new international regulation that has been introduced by the International Maritime Organisation as part of the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations.The shipper is responsible for providing the VGM of a container. The VGM is communicated within the shipping documents sufficiently in advance to be used in preparation of the vessels stowage plan.To help our customers DP World offers shippers an efficient service to weigh laden export containers at our Belgian terminal. This removes the need for shippers to arrange for the certified weight themselves.
How does it work?
You can either:
1. Provide DP World with a Verified Gross Mass (VGM) certificateParallel to booking a container with a shipping line agent or freight forwarder, you can contact a party to provide you a valid VGM certificate. The VGM information needs to be forwarded to the shipping line, who will communicate it to Antwerp Gateway (AGW) together with the load list. VGM information can only be sent to AGW via EDI communication or via our portal E-World. If an EDI flow is available, the VGM information will be sent by the shipping line to AGW using regular EDI communication flows. If the shipping line doesn’t have an EDI flow with AGW, he will register the VGM information via the e-World platform.Each morning an overview of containers without valid VGM certificate will be sent via e-mail to the shipping lines. We can wait for VGM information should to be provided up to maximum latest 12 hours before ETA of the vessel.If the shipping line has not provided the VGM 12 hours before the arrival of the vessel, - and the container is on the loadlist – it will not be loaded onto the vessel. A change of vessel fee will be applied as defined in our general terms and conditions.
2. Instruct DP World to weigh your container at Antwerp Gateway (Quay 1700) DP World Antwerp offers a fast, easy and low cost container weighing solution for containers destined to be loaded onto vessel at Antwerp Gateway. Send us your weigh request through our online application e-World. Log in to e_World, or register online.In order to guarantee the shipment of your container:• send your VGM request at least 36 hours before the ETA of the vessel• the container must arrive at least 12 hours before the ETA of the vessel.When arriving later, we cannot guarantee that the container can be weighed in time.The VGM certificate will be sent to you via mail. You must forward this VGM certificate to your shipping line.We strongly suggest to sign the Power of Attorney document attached to the weigh requests. This will authorize Antwerp Gateway to sign the VGM certificate on behalf of the requestor and reduce the risk for delay in the administrative flow and subsequent loading process as it will also be sent to the shipping line. The VGM information will be communicated to the requestor.
How do we weigh your container?
We determine the VGM by using weigh bridges located on our yard. The containers for which we have received a weigh request will be weighed and prepared for loading as per normal operational procedureIn the coming months, the weighing service will be further integrated within our terminal operations. Weigh instruments will be installed on all our straddle carriers and automatic stacking cranes. The container weight will be recorded during off-loading of the container and recorded in our systems as Terminal Verified Gross Mass (TVGM). This will ensure that a fully compliant and verified weighing solution in accordance with the new IMO legislation can be offered for every laden export container.
What do I have to do next?
Cargo Owner / shipper:Please determine how you will obtain a VGM certificate. Contact your shipping agent or freight forwarder to ask how you can exchange VGM information. You can also require Antwerp Gateway to provide you with a VGM certificate. Log in to e-World and transmit the weigh request ahead of time.Shipping agent / freight forwarder:Provide us your VGM information through the e-World application. You can also require Antwerp Gateway to provide you with a VGM certificate. Log in to e-World and transmit the weigh request ahead of time.Haulier:No additional actions are required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read the frequently asked questions about our VGM weighing service.
Email: [email protected]: + 32 3 730 45 02Phone: + 32 3 730 45 03Phone: + 32 3 730 45 99Log in to e-World to request the weighing service